DIY FACE SCRUB MADE WITH BAKING SODA AND CETAPHIL
Exfoliation is a very important part of a healthy skincare routine as it contributes to glowing youthful skin. The many benefits of exfoliation are listed below:
Benefits of Exfoliation:
- Removes dead, dull skin cells
- Improves overall skin tone and texture
- Aids in keeping acne at bay through the removal of dead skin cells responsible for clogged pores
- Encourages the skins renewal process
- Allows for other products (i.e. serums) to penetrate deeper into the skin
- Minimization of fine lines and wrinkles
The problem(s) that I find when trying to find a suitable face scrub are a) the price is not always right ($$$$), b) they are too harsh or irritating for my sensitive skin, and c) the overwhelming number of options (where to start?).
Thankfully I have an inexpensive, customizable, and effective solution for all of these problem with an ingredient that everyone has at home! – the Secret Ingredient is Baking Soda!
DIY Customizable Scrub (featuring baking soda)
This scrub has really helped me exfoliate my “complicated” (sensitive, combination, acne-prone, hormonal skin type) skin without making me break out. The great thing about this scrub is depending on your skin type; you can customize the amount of “scrub” your skin
is getting. For example, because I have sensitive skin I use a small amount of baking soda. I am thus able to exfoliate effectively but without irritation.
Here is how to do it:
Gentle cleanser for “base” I SWEAR by Cetaphil
Step 1. Mix baking soda (more= stronger scrub, less= gentler scrub) with cleanser of your choice (in my case Cetaphil). You can also use water instead of a cleanser if you want.
Step 2. Apply to face and massage gently into skin in small circular motions. I usually do this for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Step 3. RINSE and feel how soft your skin is!
* I typically do this 2 times per week, however if you feel as though you need more exfoliation (i.e. in the winter time) repeat more frequently.
Authored by: Nicole Kirkpatrick